Re: [OM] IMG: 10 more film pics now Epson Scan

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 10 more film pics now Epson Scan
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:08:52 -0500
I use Photoshop Elements for some stuff, but mostly Picture Window
Pro, because the native 16-bit file handling is dramatically superior
in speed and stability. There are a few things that are very
cringe-worthy, but overall, it's an excellent program for advanced
editing.

However,

Lightroom is progressing so well and is definitely the new style
environment for those of us who shoot in bulk. As a one-off image
tool, it's OK, but not really intended for it. This is a program
designed to allow you to not only do mass editing, but match images
from one to another. I edit a key photo and apply the same settings to
a group of images. This is really a good thing when you are shooting
with multiple cameras and needing to get all images to match.

Another program to keep your eyes on is GIMP. Unfortunately, the big
stickler is 8-bit file handling. Once that is solved, GIMP will be a
viable mainstream professional editor. I use it on anything needing
advanced layer editing. A cool thing about layers is that even though
you are working on 8-bit files, by doing your adjustments in layers,
you really don't lose anything when you stretch and bend the bits
around. No gaps in the histogram when you work in adjustment layers.

My one buggaboo with Picture Window Pro, which is the most serious
flaw, is the inability to have pressure-sensitive brushes. I use a
Wacom Tablet and I've got pressure sensitivity in both Photoshop and
GIMP. (although GIMP's support is a bit spotty).

BTW, you can mimick layers in PWP, but it's not as intuitive and
natural as in PS/GIMP.

Regardless, to the original point, I do use custom brushes once in a
while. Not often, but enough. If I'm doing quick editing on an image
I'll just paint right on the image itself. If I'm working on a serious
image where tweaking is necessary, I'll do it on an adjustment layer
or mask.

AG