Re: [OM] IMG: Friday Tulip - Jim N.

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Friday Tulip - Jim N.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:28:50 -0700
On 3/27/2011 9:37 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> . . .
> However, I believe you are correct about the gallery software.  I examined
> another image that I uploaded as a tiff, and it shows that it is displayed
> in the gallery as a jpeg image.  So, I have just been kidding myself about
> any differences that I thought I was noticing.

It's not just that gallery. The whole web is built around images of 8 bits or
less. There may be specialty apps, but
standard browsers won't view a TIFF. Click on one and you get download options,
not a pretty picture to gaze at.

So the gallery had no choice but to convert it. Accepting TIFFs, PSDs, etc. is
just a convenience for the person
uploading images.

But you may indeed be seeing some subtle difference, as their conversion engine
may not do exactly the same thing as
your engine and settings. Best to get the JPEG as you like it, and upload that.

Perfect Image Moose