Re: [OM] Big White on Fred Miranda

Subject: Re: [OM] Big White on Fred Miranda
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:03:47 -0700
On 3/25/2011 10:26 AM, John Hudson wrote:
> I went to Lugano and Locarno on school vacation trips in the early / mid
> 1960s and took the CHF equivalent of GBP10 on each trip for pocket /
> spending money. The exchange rate was ~ CHF10 = GBP1.  Those francs went a
> long way and I came back with change !

I went to Japan for 10 days in 1960. Exchange rate $1 = 360 Yen. For about
$200, I bought train tickets, some of my
food, etc. and came back with a Mamiya 16 camera, 8x50 binoculars, Sony
transistor radio (a quite new thing back then)
and gifts for the family.

The exchange rate of $ for 'stuff' was also much better in the US back then
than now. :-)

Moose