Re: [OM] Mirror lenses [was Some OM500mm shots today]

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lenses [was Some OM500mm shots today]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:54:09 -0800
On 3/1/2011 10:37 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
> [...]

Ah well, different situations. The only way ANY additional lens fits in my most
used bag is if the 5D and one lens live
entirely outside the bag. That bag is very finely tuned to carry my basic kit
in as small a space as possible.
Otherwise, I have to use a different bag or carry anything extra in something
separate.

>> 3. For me, the tripod mount is a plus. It adds very little bulk and
>> weight, and works smoothly and I prefer the balance
>> on a tripod.
> The Zuiko 500 is light and short, no balance problem on tripod either.

I'm not a big tripod user, but for longer lenses, I do almost always use one. I
did use the Tamron 350/5.6 hand held,
but didn't much like most of the results.

>> 4. Unless one needs 72mm filters for another lens, or already has them,
>> the Sigma's small, rear filter holder is a real
>> advantage.
>>
> For me, it doesn't matter, I don't use filter not to mention filter for
> telephotos and F8 is slow enough :-)

I very seldom use filters. I carry a polarizer for my main lens, just in case I
want to 'see through' water or glass and
will carry an 81 series filter for high altitude. I only mentioned the filter
difference for those folks who use filters
a lot and may read the thread.

I think it would be fun to use a Zuiko 500/8, but the are too expensive for the
very modest amount I use a mirror lens.

Unfiltered Moose