[OM] [OT] - irradiated topaz - gieger counter anyone

Subject: [OM] [OT] - irradiated topaz - gieger counter anyone
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:10:23 +0100
Hi All,

Knowing the wealth of knowledge on this list I am looking for advice on
how to see if a blue topaz ring I bought my wife is radioactive.

I bought a lovely Blue topaz ring whilst in India and then googled to
see what it meant only to find natural Blue topaz is very very rare and
normally they take topaz place  it in  a nuclear reactor and then heat
treat it to save the blue  colour.  There are two methods of doing this,
one safer than the other, Normally this is well regulated but I am not
confident that would be the case in India, so the question is how can I
found out if it is radioactive and if so if its dangerously so, I
believe from my research a Geiger counter is the wrong item and I really
don't want to buy one for this time only.

I am thinking of leaving it with a normal ring as control on some
photographic or Xray film to see if it affects it but I wonder if anyone
on the list has better suggestions.