Re: [OM] OT; looking elsewhere (GST & tipping)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT; looking elsewhere (GST & tipping)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 00:40:51 +1300
In NZ, for the benefit of those who might visit;

Locals normally never tip. It is assumed ( and is the law) that at least the
legal minimum wage is paid, and that is *supposed* to be enough to live on.

I suspect that in high tourist areas (such as Queenstown CBD, and Rotorua)
some tourists might tip, out of habit. But the staff should know better than to
expect it from non-tourists.

Re: GST, for normal retail trade, GST is always included in the ticket price.

For some services, and *trade* sales, such as buying at a timber or
plumbing outlet, price quoted is usually pre-GST; presumably because most
of their customers are also trade, and pass the GST on to the final
consumer. So GST content is irrelevant to them, in the end. In such cases,
a "GST" receipt is given.

Some sales to O/S visitors can be without GST, but I don't know the rules;
maybe the item has to be shipped to the airport of departure and collected
after passage through Customs.

Brian Swale.