Re: [OM] OT; looking elsewhere

Subject: Re: [OM] OT; looking elsewhere
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 01:15:57 +0100
I used a Pentax *ist DL for a couple of years, with much pleasure; not in the
K-5 league, more a forerunner to the K-100 / K-M, but a very apt camera all
around (considering its age and available technologies of the time).

It was all olympus should have made instead of the (IMHO) failed 4xx and
5xx attempts (not speaking of the 4:3 vs. APS-C CCD strategy here).
Compare : standard SD (and SHDC after fw update), standard USB 2.0 speed
& cable, standard AA form-factor batteries (either disposable Lithium or
rechargeable Li-Ion), standard K-mount lenses with 1000s of available lenses
already on the market and with proven resale value. Solid like a rock, light
like
 a feather, and, behold, smaller than a 5xx. OTOH, everything to the last bolt
was custom made in the olympus world, much more expensive, with *NO*
advantage for the consumer at all, and the only size advantage gained was
by the shrinkage of the buyer's wallet.

I almost turned into a Pent@x worshiper, but I saw the µ4:3 light and ditched
the *ist as soon as I had the e-p1. I may be a corner case because the style
of street photography I like can do with a slightly degraded IQ if the camera
itself has a really reduced size compared to *any* DSLR. So I had no reason
to keep any DSLR at all around once the µ4:3 format arrived (this choice is
sadly missing in the Zone-10 poll, by the way).

But at the moment, if I were to do the kind of photography requiring a DSLR
again, and having to buy one, it certainly would be a K-x or K-r. Certainly not
a FT body. Pent@x is closer to the digital OM spirit than olympus ever was.

http://picasaweb.google.com/manuel.viet0/OLYMPUSEP1?feat=directlink#5482436045203766594
Body : e-p1 ; lens : Pentax / Takumar f:50/1.4 (the one that glows in the dark),
hand held wide open at night.

--
Manuel Viet