Re: [OM] IMG: The Relic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Relic
From: Patrick Moore <paddy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:34:09 +0000
* On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 03:54:07PM +0000, Chris Barker said:
> The UK is converting to digital before the summer; that is, the analogue
> signal is being switched off.  We have had terrestrial digital for around
> 8 years, I think.
>
> That's OK, but I do hope that they don't do the same with radio.

there are plans afoot to do just that within the UK.  But DAB(+) hasn't had
the necessary takeup to move in that direction yet.

But once FM is replaced with DAB+,  it'll be AM's turn with DRM (Digital
Radio Mondial, not Digital Rights Management ...) which uses a very low
bitrate version of AAC-HE for the transmission ... it sounds reasonable
enough actually.

Aside from the lack of hardware out there my largest complaint is a very
silly one.  The delay through all the devices isn't constant, so if you
have multiple radios in the house you end up with crappy echos and an
absence of sync between them.  *grmbl*  Of course, this leads to some
rather interesting effects with Radio 4's pips kick in ...

If we can enforce a fixed decoder delay it would be useful. ;)  But so long
as we don't lose R4 LW I'll not be too upset ... maybe!

p,  currently fighting with compression algorithms and a DSP which is being
less than useful ... *grmbl*