Re: [OM] IMG: The Relic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Relic
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:38:34 -0800
On 2/15/2011 6:23 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> During the conversion from analog to digital, the VHF stations migrated to
> UHF where the signal propogates differenty.

That's what I thought. It freed up a big chunk of the spectrum. I had an old
antenna pretty much identical like the one
Jim shot. I replaced it with a UHF only model and get all possible local
stations.

BTW, to those with marginal signals on old antennas . . .  Although they may
look fine after many years, and still hold
birds up fine, their efficiency as antennas goes way down. The dielectric
properties of the plastic insulators
deteriorate with UV, pollutants and temperature cycling.

You can end up with the ends of your cable to the antenna essentially shorted
at the relevant frequencies.

Way back in the stone age, I used to sell a fair number of replacement antennas
with the promise that I'd take them back
if they didn't improvement the problems the customers were trying to blame on
their TVs. If they had twin lead, I made
them change that too, as it had the same problem. Never had a return.

Moose