Re: [OM] Hyper/Hypo Stereo (Re: Panny 20/1.7)

Subject: Re: [OM] Hyper/Hypo Stereo (Re: Panny 20/1.7)
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:04:30 +0100
Hi George and all,

From: "George Themelis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
>Normal stereo: spacing of lenses/cameras (stereo base) equal to spacing of
>eyes
>Hyper stereo:  stereo base >> (larger) than spacing of eyes
>Hypo stereo:  stereo base << (smaller) than spacing of eyes

I assume this is for 'standard' lenses, am I wrong? If using a wider or
narrower field of view, how does it affect spacing for 'normal' stereo?

>In a hyperstereo everything looks *smaller* as if the buildings etc. are
>little model/toys, not the real thing.

Yes! Back in college I did my first set of stereo slides -- single camera,
moving the tripod between exposures. The hyper-stereo shot (furniture with
TV, VCR and some video tapes) came out amazingly toy-like!

>We once had a visitor in our stereo club that looked at a hyperstereo and
>absolutely refused to accept that this was a real scene.  She insisted that
>it was a miniature model.  No mater what I said about hyperstereos, etc.,
in
>the end she remained unconvinced.

I understand that... Also, reverse-tilt is used for a similar (although
quite different) miniature effect.

More pending scans... ;-)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)