Re: [OM] [IMG] Lunch (was pizza, was Re: Oh gawd...)

Subject: Re: [OM] [IMG] Lunch (was pizza, was Re: Oh gawd...)
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 12:50:12 +0100
<<
All this pizza talk made me think....Ralf and other Italians have been
suspiciously quiet during this conversation.  So I started picturing him
getting on his computer, opening his email clicking on the OM list and
choking from laughing so hard...

I know probably it wont be good, but am still interested to hear what the
real Italians think about other's pizza, including mine.

I already written in the past about pizza, but I'll cheerfully repeat.
What is a pizza? It is basically a topped thin bread. So you can make it
any way you want: also in Italy you'll find several kind of topping.
However here a real pizza need to follow some basic rules: thin dough,
a "passata" and not fresh tomatoes or ketchup, real mozzarella and
olive oil. And it should be cooked in a wood oven.
Frankly, even in Italy it is difficult to find a "real" pizza, often
it is prepared with a cheap substitute of the real mozzarella, and
it is cooked in an electrical oven.
When traveling abroad, I don't eat pizza because I prefer to eat what
the country has to offer, and because I risk to have ketchup instead of
passata, something that should really be forbidden on a pizza. I did
however eat some dishes not called pizza but made on a similar basis:
without the constraint to be called pizza I have found some good things.

Having said all this, your would not pass a pizza test here because
of the use of fresh tomatoes. The onions would make it a "onion pizza"
(non standard topping), the cheese doesn't look like real mozzarella,
the persil should be on top, but I suspect I could eat it and also
really enjoy ;-)

Ralf