Re: [OM] pizza, was Re: Oh gawd...

Subject: Re: [OM] pizza, was Re: Oh gawd...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 12:39:43 -0600
> BTW, AFAIK, the Italians refer to Chicago style pizza as we would refer to
> the food at fairs in the Midwest and South.  The most flattering comment I
> ever heard was from some chef who politely referred to it as "focaccia".

Actually, that's probably pretty close to accurate.

However, a Pizzeria Uno pizza served inside the original store is
unlike anything else in the world.

OK, OK, I can't resist this topic...

My #1 favorite pizza in the world is Mama Mia's Pizza in Mackinaw
City, Michigan. Upstairs is the bridge-builder's museum which you can
go through (and watch the film) while your pizza is cooking. It's a
cross between NYC and Chicago style pizza. Really, it's a best of both
worlds Pizza.

My #2 favorite pizza is at the above mentioned Pizzeria Uno in
Chicago. It MUST be in the original red-brick building, though. It's
the oven and the years of embedded odors which make it different.

I don't know if it's a firm #3 or just at this point in the list there
are so many wonderful pizzas to choose from, but a Veggie pizza from
"Big John's" in Whitehall, Michigan is the way to go. It's much closer
to a NYC pizza, but without the acidic pizza sauce. It is almost
identical to Tower of Pizza in Quincy, Illinois.

Here in Iowa, Pagliai's Pizza has an awesome Margherita Pesto Pizza...

Throughout my global travels I've had some mighty good pizzas, but
I've noticed that in almost every case, the best ones are served in
restaurants with certain types of odors. An Uno pizza, for example,
tastes totally different in all the other stores, and the frozen
bake-at-home kind taste even different yet. I believe the primary
difference has to do with the type of oil used in combination with the
type of pan as well as what the walls are made of. It seems that wood
paneled walls seem to capture odors and enhance them in some
way--probably not unlike whiskeys in oak barrels.

AG