Re: [OM] All wrought up (was) IMG: Snow Again

Subject: Re: [OM] All wrought up (was) IMG: Snow Again
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:39:29 +1100
I have a worry with the Oxford here - there are too many related wr.. words -
wrought, wreak, wrung - all to do with a physical action. I suspect that work
once existed as 'wrok' in some form and places, just as 'bird was once 'brid'.
There are many letter switches like this. There is no reason to have such an
irregular past particle for 'work'. Language tends to simplify - except in
America of course.

Pedant note of the week -
I've been puzzled by the rise of 'impact' as an active verb - as in "Queensland
has been severely impacted by floods." An ugly form, easily avoided. Then the
penny dropped. The correct term should be 'affected' but of course, who knows
the difference between affect and effect these days? Thus a pusillanimous
substitution is born.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx