Re: [OM] IMG: Biar

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Biar
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:38:06 -0800
On 1/26/2011 2:41 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Another one of my newly discovered 280 megapixel images:
>
> http://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Sometimes-I-use-film/7590141_XFqsu#1168851838_RcenX-O-LB

C'mon, Nathan and the rest of you guys. There's something wrong here. The
moment I saw  it, I thought there was
something wrong with the tones, especially the lower ones. The lower ones look
sorta blocky, coarse, something wrong.

So I look at the histogram. This image has had major tonal movement(s) in post
on a 8 bit image or some other tonal
disaster. The lower half is full of holes and the top is full of spikes. No
wonder the tonal graduation looks whacky.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/Biar_Alicantea.htm>

I can't get back the lost tones - assuming here that the original scan was 16
bit and had them. I can simulate them with
interpolation and smooth things out.

The other thing that bugged my eye was the church tower leaning to the side.
Roofs and such look pretty level, so it's
perspective distortion, with nothing else to show it so obviously.

Then as long as I was at it, I reduced the hot spotting/vignetting, whacked out
the big, ugly TV antenna and sharpened a
bit for this size.

Well, I think the tonality is much nicer now. :-)   Look too at the clarity of
detail in the vineyards and other
background stuff. That's not just sharpening, they started to look a lot better
as soon as I interpolated a continuous
tonal range, as did the face of the tower.

Likes It Now Moose