Re: [OM] Tough H2O camera/housing--suggestions?

Subject: Re: [OM] Tough H2O camera/housing--suggestions?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:56:06 -0800
On 1/20/2011 5:33 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Kind of stumped for a possible water proof/tough cam solution.  Never thought
> the minimal use for the $240 Canyon  water proof case for the G9 would be
> used enough.  Seems NIB ones are still out there but are the same price or
> more.  Missed a snipe by a few dollars for $120 or so which is about the  max
> amount I would spend for that item and they seem to go for a bit more.
>
> Why now?  Well trip to Dominica coming up in April and will likely do some
> canyoning and the snorkeling/diving is said to be very very good.  The
> Canyoning  outfitters  will rent a GoPro helmet camera for $35. I Think they
> are fixed WA. . Still might be nice to have something, I think, at least for
> snorkeling too.   Perhaps the helmet thing is better as less
> intrusive/detracting. I have never seen or used them.
> http://www.extremedominica.com/gallery.cfm#
>
> . . .
>
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_tough

Consider what IQ is possible underwater or sliding down waterfalls. There's
always going to be water of one sort or
another to shoot through. :-)

Have you read dpreview's waterproof camera test of about 1.5 years ago?
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/>

There's been less change than one might imagine, and many newer models appear
to be modest electronic updates of the
same designs. It appears the TS2 is mostly a TS1 with more MPs (bad). The TS1
performed poorly underwater at dpr and TS2
has the same lens. IR's Dave's Picks seems to be awfully commercially driven to
me.

Looks like you missed the window for the Pentax Optio W60. Better IQ than the
W80 & 90, but apparently the world all
reads dpreview and the used price is now higher than new and higher than its
replacements. Shades of the F10 and F30.

I would probably pick a tough camera at least partly on price and size and
separately carry a G series in a tough case
for those times when it's safe to take it out. A used Tough 6000 might be a
good one.

I have an OtterBox 2500 for the G11. Cheap, tough as nails and waterproof. The
G11 fits with room for a neoprene
battery/card carrier next to it and a couple of microfiber wipe/towels on top
of and/or below it.
<http://www.otterbox.com/otterbox-2500-cases/otterbox-2500-cases,default,sc.html>

High Dry Moose