[OM] Taking pictures while running

Subject: [OM] Taking pictures while running
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 18:32:03 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for the "core body temperature", Mike.

I swim almost year round here in the ocean.  By the end of fall, the water gets
brutally cold and when you get in it, it feels like the only warm place is
somewhere in your "core".  Limbs feel like accessories.  Body feels like a
shell, but I dont feel the cold.

I swim only along the shore and carry a cell phone, just in case I misjudge the
time when I have to come back.  I am done when my fingers and toes go numb.
Depending on how cold it is it usually takes about 40 minutes to an hour to
reach that point.

I felt like this only once while running.  It was last year during a trip to
Idaho National Lab.  It was 6F and I went running with a coleague in a short
sleeved tshirt, coz forgot my jacket.

Having said that, I am the first one to get cold when all movement stops,
because of my low resting heart rate...

I am a real cry baby when summer comes tho...never figured out how to cope with
heat, but thats a different topic...:)

Best

Boris

From:   usher99@xxxxxxx
Date:   Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:05:18 -0500

Sound advice on running in the cold. I remember running at -8 deg F and
had to wear  a scarf over my mouth.
I was stopped by a car and asked if I wanted a ride home?!  My beard
was solid ice by then.  Then you know it is just too cold and should
pick another day.  I  no longer bother if it is under 10 deg or so.

The physiology about sweating sounds a bit askew.  Sweating or lack
thereof, is almost entirely controlled by the  hypothalamus  response
to core body temperature changes.
Those in very good condition actually sweat more and are more efficient
at keeping core body temp closer to normal.  The electrolyte
content of the sweat does fall with conditioning.  Respiratory quotient
falls from 1 to about 0.7 as one depletes glycogen stores and switches
to fatty acid oxidation and a tad less H20 is produced per mole of C02
produced  110/114 ratio then the 1:1 with carbohydrate oxidation,
but that should not affect sweating.

A Physiological Mike