Re: [OM] PHP

Subject: Re: [OM] PHP
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:47:11 -0800
On 1/18/2011 6:52 AM, Sawyer, Edward wrote:
> <snip "Why not run a local server?">
>
> Honestly the easiest thing is to find a webhost that offers PHP, and
> preview/test your code directly on your site. That's what I do, and this is
> the sort of thing I do for a living. I used to run apache locally, on my
> workstation, but I don't even bother with that anymore, I just use the
> server(s).

Oh, good! I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I am would comment about
this.

The little bit of PHP revision of existing code that I've done, I've tested
that way. Only three windows needed:

1. Editor. Make changes and save (With appropriate back-ups of the original and
of the last variants that worked.) ;-)

2. FTP client. I've recently switched from CoffeeCup Free to FileZilla, also
free, but more capable. Local window set to
the code subdirectory, server window to directory where the PHP runs. Drag
latest file version across. Takes a second or
two.

3. Browser open to the site being revised. Click the Reload button to test the
revised code.

Look at what happened, scratch head, figure out where I went wrong, change,
repeat 1-3.

It's so very simple.

As so many of my images are now in Singapore Gallery and I occasionally want to
show them on my notebook where there is
no web access, I am now thinking of installing a local "server", now that I've
heard of the simplicity of setting up
wampserver, just to run Singapore.

Simple Minded Moose