Re: [OM] Bokeh question

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 14:17:12 -0500
If all that you say here is true it should be easy enough to demonstrate
with four photos derived from two images shot with different lenses.
One of the lenses should be regarded as having excellent bokeh and the
other with not so excellent bokeh.  First show both images at a
magnification such that there is no bokeh since everything in the shot
will be in focus according to the CoC.  Then magnify these same images
and view them at such a distance that the original CoC is no longer
sufficient to consider everything in sharp focus.

By your reasoning the result should be that the lens that delivers
excellent bokeh in the enlarged image should make a clearly superior
image in the smaller photo where the CoC still rules and everything
appears in focus.

Show me that and I'll concede that you may have a point.  Show me that
for three pairings of different lenses and I'll concede that you are
probably right.  Until then I see no reason to accept it.

Chuck Norcutt