Re: [OM] OT Brisbane floods

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Brisbane floods
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:23:19 +1000
As you suggest, we're uphill. Lots of low areas were flooded, but I
don't think that much more in our local area than previous floods I've
seen. Because the hills come close to the coast, the creeks often fill
up quick, but empty (relatively) quickly too. There were lots of
cut-off places (I think even Noosa was effectively cut off, which is
not usual). Noosa River, as you know, does flood, but this was also
made worse by the huge king tides too (which I've not seen so much in
combination before). Areas around Tewantin and Noosaville were
flooded, but I think possibly in terms they are somewhat familiar
with. I'm riding my pushy to Tewantin in an hour or so, so I'll have a
look. In relative terms, we were unaffected, aside from having Mum
stay about a week longer than expected (she's heading down to my
brother's in Ballina today, hopefully taking it easy on the roads).

Brisbane, of course, is a whole other story (then move on out to all
the regions across the state, and it's pretty overwhelming to watch).
I was just down at our local Coles supermarket, and there is no such
thing as a fruit and vege section - just bare shelves, completely and
utterly cleared of the last vegetable, fruit or herb, of any type.
Likely some of this is panic buying, but also likely some from all the
broken or stressed infrastructure of the entire state (not to mention
crop damage). Milk's running low too, but the lady on checkout said
that the milk suppliers are diverting limited supply to worst-affected
areas (incl. hospitals and such). I'm pretty sure I can possibly, just
barely, manage without my lattes if supply runs out (if this was
Twitter, I'd be hashtagging "#noosaproblems" right about here ;) ). In
relative terms, well, Brisbane, Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Gympie,
Rocky, points west...it's all pretty bad, pretty shocking.  Some
places are still hitting peak on their rivers. Goondiwindi's levee has
never been strained so much, though it looks like the river might not
peak as high as they said. It's currently steady at 60cm below top,
whereas they were expecting 15cm below top with possibilities it'd go
higher.

But me and mine...fine, no worries. Family in Cooran and Brisbane...fine too.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz