Re: [OM] OT CMS and suchlike

Subject: Re: [OM] OT CMS and suchlike
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:52:33 -0600
Hiring out the server aspect isn't too costly (less than the cost of
DSL for Brian) and there are other advantages, like being on-net in a
server-site with rudundant power and network connections. I am
contemplating the future move of Zone-10 to a self-owned server that
is located in a rented rack space in a data-center. The advantages for
me is the fact that I host several websites, so the cost of one box is
split among several revenue streams. Shoot, I've even been thinking
about setting up a regular hosting system to provide for people just
like Brian.

There are massive advantages to being in a data-center over your own
home. Trust me on this, as someone who works in telecommunications.
But as to the server itself, if you are willing to spend a thousand
bucks on a used rack-server and the monthly rent for two RU of space
as well as power+bandwidth, you can serve about 600 concurrent users
without breaking a sweat.

AG