Re: [OM] OT CMS and suchlike

Subject: Re: [OM] OT CMS and suchlike
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:55:28 -0800
On 1/10/2011 10:10 AM, Jan Steinman wrote:
> Perhaps too big a jump at this stage, but have you considered hosting your
> own webserver? All you really need is someone's discarded PC (low-traffic
> serving doesn't take a lot of horsepower.) and a copy of Linux of your choice.

It does, however, require decent bandwidth. Unless something has changed
dramatically, that' something Brian doesn't have.

In addition, from my perspective, it requires time and effort that I would
prefer to use in other pursuits. Also, when a
piece of hardware fails in a server farm, it's transparent to me. When it fails
in some old box stashed out of the way
at home, I have to do the trouble shooting and repair/replacement and possibly
reload everything.

I can get from 50GB to unlimited space from ISPs for far less annual cost than
I think my time is worth. They all
provide the basics, PHP, MySQL and other things I forget. With essentially
unlimited space, uploading my own copy of
gallery, CMS, whatever, software is simply not a problem. Even with a slow
connection, there's always the option of
letting it run while one sleeps.

So unless I still got a thrill at loading and learning new OSs and making old
hardware work, there's just no payout for me.

Moose