Re: [OM] OT: A great day back at work

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: A great day back at work
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 20:47:35 +0000
Very low, Piers, unless you know someone, are a very senior officer or are the
right sex.  We have very few fast jets now and the 2-seat versions (trainers)
are much in demand for conversion or check rides.

[stop reading now if I have related this story before]

A trip in a Tornado was always pretty rare, but I used to take pax sometimes
(you had to be qualified as a back-seat pilot to be allowed to do so); one was
our (female) intelligence officer.  I planned a trip from Marham, at around
20,000 ft up the North Sea to descend to low level and to coast-in at Coquet
Island by Alnwick.  Then we would motor down the Pennines at low level on a
gorgeous day viewing the scenery and enjoying the ride (sorry, I mean
professional training).  But the poor girl was sick within minutes of takeoff
so I stuck to 3,000ft for the whole trip -- much less exciting but also much
smoother and less sick-making.

I gained smartie points from the girl by taking her sick bag from her while
taxiing back to the shelter: so that she could climb down the ladder without
ignominy.  A chap did this for my wife when she had a trip in a Jaguar trainer
in 1979 and it seemed like a good deed.

The Hawk and Tucano have very good range for little aircraft, but the latter
deploys to Lossie or Kinloss for a week during their course for practice at the
wonderful low level of the Highlands.

Which panorama, Piers?

Chris