Re: [OM] Education (was Economics)

Subject: Re: [OM] Education (was Economics)
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:57:43 +0000
That view reads as a perverse one, Nicholas.  Love, compassion etc . . . are
bad things to teach because they involve God?

I attended two private schools, what we in the UK call prep school (9 -13) and
public school (13-18).  My parents lived abroad (India and the Middle East)  so
it was the only way for me to have a decent education, for me to board at
school during term time.  Each school was Roman Catholic and each was staffed
by dedicated teachers to whom I remain grateful for a decent education (albeit
expensive for my parents).  The public school (private, secondary school) was
an Abbey and staffed by Benedictine monks as well as lay teachers.  It's still
going, see www.downside.co.uk.

Certainly I was brought up in the RC faith, in which I lapsed for a decade or
so, but it was a Good Thing for me and I reckon would be for anyone else.  But
whether or not a school is faith-based (so to speak), it requires teachers of
talent, inspiration and dedication to succeed as a place of education for
youngster.

Chris