Re: [OM] Education (was Economics)

Subject: Re: [OM] Education (was Economics)
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 10:34:18 -0600
Every teacher has an agenda, whether they teach in a private or a public
school, and whether they are conscious of it or not.  Any time you teach
someone something, you are going to teach them the way *you* think is best.
Many parents think public schools are a bad idea for the same reason you
just named.

>Private schools are a bad idea as they subvert that goal. Many private
schools are really brainwashing institutes that parents send children to so
as to replicate their beliefs.

Having attended a private school growing up, and having worked within the
public school system, I can say unequivocally that in my experience, racism
is far more common and far worse in public schools than it is in
private.  The poorer the student body, the worse it is.
Also, I'd like to see examples of such segregated schools from the last 10
years.

>Others exist to separate students from
"undesirables" such as blacks, hispanics, etc.

Many major religions teach doctrines of love, compassion, equality, etc.
etc.  The Christian church, for example, has traditionally taught the
doctrine of "Imago Dei"--that everyone is created in the image of God, and
every human being is therefore worthy equal dignity.  But I guess that's a
bad thing to learn because it involves God.

>And of course, there are
religious considerations as well.

And to this I say, good riddance.  Teacher's unions encourage an environment
of apathy and mediocrity.  Good teachers are stifled while bad teachers
continue teaching.  In this, the state of New York with its "rubber
rooms" was the absolute worst offender.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/education/29rubber.html

> Don't get me started on how charter schools are...breaking the backs of
teacher's unions.

There are bright spots, however, in the public education system.  Which are
usually snuffed out as soon as possible.