Re: [OM] Advice Needed

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice Needed
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:13:45 -0800
The first thing to do would be to look around at various websites and decide
what you want your website to look like, what you would like it to do, and
what you would settle for.

The content management systems make it easy to get something nice going
quickly but if you want to make them do something not already in the box,
they can be painful. There is a surprising variety of Wordpress driven
sites. Drupal, Mamba, Joomla, etc often have plugins you can add for a wide
variety of functionality while still keeping a consistent look to the
website.

Writing your own html is pretty easy but when you have hundreds of pages you
will need to use a script to make mass changes. Using MySQL and PHP to
create a dynamic website would require the most learning but would probably
be the easiest to expand and modify.

As far as web hosts go, you probably won't notice many problems at first.
ICDSoft seems solid. Godaddy has had problems with long ftp uploads, but has
a lot of nice features such as subdomains, aliases, email accounts. 1and1
has a good reputation, seems to be solid, has subdomains, but has a somewhat
clumsy interface for managing many domain names. Hostgator has a good
reputation and enough features that I got an account there but haven't used
it enough to see any problems.

In terms of getting started it can be as simple as, getting a domain name,
getting a web host, then transferring a file named index.htm to your web
host.  ... then you'll realize your menus don't cover everything you want
and will be editing the file again ;)

If you do write your own html, it isn't that hard to semi automate the
creation of pages. I use perl to create individual pages for each picture in
a directory with previous - next buttons and an index page. If you do a good
job writing the html, you can dramatically change the look of your whole
website by changing a single style sheet (css). Use include files for
headers, footers, and menus, then you can change them on every page by
changing just the file which is included.

Jeff Keller