Re: [OM] photo gallery software

Subject: Re: [OM] photo gallery software
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:49:34 -0600
Wayne, from what you stated here, I would actually lean towards
Gallery 2 (G2). It's VERY solid and is actually the more powerful of
the three. G3 is the newest and there are some speed and server load
improvements, but it was designed from the geico to be the little
brother to G2. As we all know, feature-creep kicks in and it's turned
into a monstrosity itself.

Every once in a while I get the brilliant idea that I should host my
own site on my own server farm, but the economics just aren't there,
and I pay peanuts for somebody else to worry about all the security
issues involved in server security, powering as well as
redundant/protect path "last mile" issues. I do have a LAMP server
built with the site loaded on it for educational purposes, but I need
a much bigger pipe than I can afford to make it reasonable. Zone-10
has the occasional day where I get called by Hostgator and asked
what's going on.

Yet, on the flip side, as I'm responsible for no less than three
websites, I'm pretty close to break-even on renting space at a carrier
hotel for a 2RU computer with a 100mb connection. If I do that,
though, Zone-10 needs to become profitable.

AG