[OM] photo gallery software

Subject: [OM] photo gallery software
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 04:43:49 +1300
Wayne wrote

> Speaking of which, I set up Gallery 3 on my home machine here:
>
> http://zuik.dyndns.org/gallery3/
>
> But I'm not all that happy with it. Sometimes it goes out to lunch and
> does strange things. There are more photos there, but mostly family stuff
> that requires login. Supposedly you can click on the photo to see a higher
> resolution version, but it does not seem to work reliably.
>
> Does any one have suggestions for setting up a web server for photos?

Congratulations on setting up your own server. Makes me wonder how you
protect it from hostile invaders though.

I pay $30 US a year  for 50 GB at cyberultra.net in Singapore; really
excellent. Plus $10US a year for a domain name, also through Singapore I
think.
http://www.brianswale.com/
I write my own code which tends to be laborious, and the only real downside
is that I don't have an easy way to update the copyright dates. AG has the
answer for that, but I'm not sure I want to take the time to learn his system
he uses.

I write using pure html, some of it is code no longer preferred by the
cognoscienti (spelling?) of the web.

For searching etc I really need to learn php and Mysql (sic) but my time
seems to be overtaken by a host of other tasks, and it's not getting any
better. I seem to be losing my focus (excuse the pun) on photography.

Recently I bought a book (on trademenz) on portraits, and the seller asked if
I was into photography. So I e-mailed him my URL by way of reply.
He wrote back thanking me for a lot of nice images.
I don't know if he was winding me up (for getting the book at a really good
price), or what; but it did make me think again about adding a watermark
copyright notice.

Brian Swale.