[OM] Deconvolution revealed

Subject: [OM] Deconvolution revealed
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:41:54 -0500
Sharper Moose writes:
>It's my opinion that DxO, at its default settings, while an
improvement, is
>slightly less effective at making details
>visible and so increasing apparent focal sharpness as the combination
of LCE,
>NI. Add Focus Magic and DxO looks poor by
>comparison.

Well Moose is the clear victor with the default DXO settings.   There
is a local contrast slider in the lighting menu that can be easily
adjusted while viewing the effect at 100%.
The sliders controlling the deconvolution with "global" and "details"
(I think the later controls microcontrast in the 5-8 pixel range as
best I can gather) can be adjusted in a similar fashion a couple secs
viewing before and after at 100%. in side by side images.
The software with the proper lens module is supposed to know where the
particular lens is softer and applies a gradient of an effect.  Shades
of Kasparov vs Deep Blue, the rematch ------- though Kaparov may not
wish to help Deep Blue.
Coupala sliders isn't too much work though.

Oh, the default color setting is a bit saturated and is supposed to
mimic the handling of the in cam Jpg.

As it stands, Moose' work flow with the plug-ins saved as actions
appears better and cheaper though he skillfully applies them very
efficiently---have seen him in action.  He did use LCE, curves, NI, FM,
ACR, PTlens to achieve the results.
I think I'd rather have a .psd file and the corrections in layers.

Imagine the inexperienced poor schlub with a new LX-x trying to do
better than the in cam jpeg.  Especially with the lower priced version,
DXO would be a deal.  Add some problematic CA (can be focus distance
dependent) into the mix
and more work is saved.

With the profiles for lenses for CS-5 now available,  the bar should be
set quite high for an expensive converter/partial editor/aberration
corrector.  I am pleased my peanut butter on cracker comment about FM
spurred Moose to do this comparison.  I have been curious as to the
result for a couple years.

It will be many moons before am 10% as good or efficient in PS as Moose,
Mike