Re: [OM] Jeweler's camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Jeweler's camera
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:36:55 +1100
I don't think it's an appropriate camera at all. Yes you could fit it with the
35mm Macro but with an adaptor as well that gets well over budget.
Someone mentioned the G11. Well I have used a G10 and I found it to have an
excellent manual focus macro setting. I got some nice flower shots. Assuming
that the G12 has the same capability, I'd do that. The smaller sensor won't
make a jot of difference for web images. I'd also get one of those cheap mini
tabletop studio kits off ebay that involves a cheap light tent (usually a
collapsible cube) and a couple of little halogen lights on mini stands. They
even come with a few colour backgrounds and don't cost much. Crude but
effective. A second-hand tripod should complete the kit.

If I were doing this, I'd use my old E-330, a manual focus macro like the OM
50/3.5 and a cocoon. I'd set up a corner with a rig, get the lighting right and
never move anything.(I'm about tot do this for a friend who makes brooches).
But I think you want an answer for   a jeweller not a photographer? It's the
set-up rather than the camera that is important in this case.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx