Re: [OM] so here's the deal

Subject: Re: [OM] so here's the deal
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:49:32 -0600
> My E-3 has worked fine at -6 degrees F.  When I'm out in that much
> cold, I use the HLD-4 pack for extra battery oomph.

Joel W and I have stressed the lower-limits of our cameras in Iowa winters a
few times, taking them out in similar temperatures. With the digital
cameras, there is the issue of doing the battery lap dance where you keep
one constantly thawing inside your long johns, but the discomfort
experienced in the neighborhood when such a cold object is placed for
warming is rather disconcerting.

At issue isn't necessarily using a camera in those extremes, but allowing
the camera to become completely cold-soaked to those extremes. In the case
of digital cameras, the LCD displays are worthless as they turn black or are
very sluggish. I do not place my camera under the parka as that is a warm
and humid environment which will cause salt-laden moisture to be sucked
right inside the camera every time you cycle it inside and out. When people
experience camera failures in damp and/or cold conditions, almost without
exception they were keeping it under their parka between pictures.

An alternative method, which I do use, is to place chemical handwarmers
inside the camera bag to keep the temperature above freezing. I've also been
known to attach handwarmers to the base of cameras. That works great, except
for the tripod thing...

So, here is the scenario: Hiking (on snowshoes most likely) for two to three
hours. The camera will be kept around the neck or in a small non-sealed bag
which provides minimal protection. Within the first hour, the camera will
have achieved ambient temperature. The biggest problem I've run into with
this is the grease in the lens focusing mechanisms gets rather stiff. If I
use my small zip bag, I'll use the handwarmers to keep the lenses loose, but
the camera itself with one lens will stay at ambient temperature.

There will most likely be some night shots too. These will be time-exposures
where I start the picture and go back inside for a while to read or play
games on my iPad. With the OM-3Ti, I'll just use the cable-release with
locking mechanism. Time-exposures with digital is a pain on so many levels
and combine that with extreme colds, you find yourself replacing the battery
after every other shot.

AG