Re: [OM] OT: Some test shots from the Panny FZ100

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Some test shots from the Panny FZ100
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:55:12 +0000
Thanks, Paul.  But I looked at the "original" shot (I can't tell if it's the
full-size file) and you can see the results of the noise reduction, whether
in-camera or your post-processing: It causes softness of the edges.

Now, I haven't done a test of my small cameras, LX-3 and G12, but I would hope
that they would produce less softening because of the noise reduction --
because they use larger photosites as they have fewer of them per cm2 of
sensor.  Your FZ100 has 50mp/cm2, whereas each of my small cameras has
24mp/cm2, as I recall from the DPReview specifications page.

So, now I must go and check, with my neighbour's cars . . . :-)

Well, I didn't use my neighbour's cars (the nice one, the Alfa 159, is not
there at present) so I used our chicken house and girouette.  And what I found
was that my results are indeed better than yours, but only until I upload them
to the web.  See for yourself:

<http://threeshoes.smugmug.com/Flowers/Temp-test/14744822_VucSR#1098914743_73JyW>

The G12 is a jpeg straight from the camera, using factory default settings (I
haven't fiddled with them yet), whereas the LX3 is RW2 processed with Aperture,
nothing added by me, and uploaded.

The soft and granular edges are on my shots as well.  Hmmm!  It must be a
function of moving the jpegs and displaying them with a browser.

I should be interested to read your thoughts on my thoughts . . .

Chris