Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?

Subject: Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:27:38 -0600
> Perhaps I missed something, but in the 200,000 mile lifetime, did you
include the cost of replacing the Prius batteries?

I've done a weebit of research on this and learned that you either get rid
of the Prius before 100,000 miles (warranty period on the batteries) or you
run the wheels off the thing. Interestingly enough, very few have needed to
replace the batteries. Toyota has engineered the car to use very little
capacity range on the batteries--somewhere between 10-15% percent. As such,
the batteries last a very long time as compared to other brands. People who
hypermile their cars trying to get greater usage ranges out of the batteries
end up trashing them faster due to heat buildup. Evidently, battery service
life depends a lot on the type of terrain driven. If you commute uphill to
work and downhill all the way home where the batteries get a deep cycling,
they won't last nearly as long.

> Of course, it could be that by that time, third-party battery swaps will
lower the cost. Or maybe not:

If you are handy with a screwdriver and a couple other minor tools, you can
replace your own batteries in an evening for around $500. Otherwise, a
dealer replacement post-warranty is about $4000.

> "Analysis of Lithium's geological resource base shows that there is
insufficient Lithium available in the Earth's crust to sustain Electric
Vehicle manufacture in the volumes required, based solely on LiIon
batteries. Depletion rates would exceed current oil depletion rates and
switch dependency from one diminishing resource to another."

"Lithium--not just for crazy people anymore."

Why did we buy the Prius? Honestly, I think they are among the ugliest cars
around and scream "Look at me, you should be proud of me because I'm saving
the planet." Dorkmobiles, Geekmobiles, whatever you want to call them, I am
in full agreement. Anyway, we bought it because the price was great and it
met our need. And it is a Toyota--can't be all bad.

Hmm. I do feel less hyprocritical now when sending money to the Sea
Shepherds.

AG Schnozz