Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]

Subject: Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:29:11 -0500

There's a reason why the US exports mainly raw logs instead of finished wood
products: the US wood products industry largely refuses to make things in
the dimensions other countries want. And the same with steel, screws,
widgets -- you name it.

I would think that the cost of labor over here mitigates any possible
advantage from a common standard.

I find it incredible that the people who scream "free trade!" the loudest
are generally the same people who resist metric units the strongest.

Not I. Free trade has been a bust for the usa.

(And then there's the matter of the failed Mars mission, costing billions of
dollars, because one contractor was working in Imperial Units and all the
others were working in SI units...)

As a friend used to say, there's no law against being stupid.

It would be great to wax rhapsodic about the "old" system of pounds, feet,
etc. I'd be first in line to do so, were it only made obsolete and thus
deserving of such fondness.

Well, lets see, You live in Canada, don't you? That means you really don't
have an oar in the pond. I'll expect your check or cheque as well.

Bill Pearce