Re: [OM] Week 42 and 43 Fotos for fun.

Subject: Re: [OM] Week 42 and 43 Fotos for fun.
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 19:35:44 -0400
SwissPace writes:

>A pal at work has just upgraded to a 60D ( I am sure I have seen that
swivel screen somewhere ) and is waiting for a 24-105 to arrive so I
will see >how that compares to the 35-80/2.8 as it would be nice to
have autofocus, but I must say after an initial nonchalance when the
35-80 first arrived I >have discovered that its certainly a very
special lens.

Gee, yes indeed!
A couple FM alt lensers looked at images side by side with the C/Y
35-70 and the Zuiko  on an OM 5DII and sold the C/Y.  High praise
indeed.

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/35mm_test.html

Zuiko clearer sharper wide open and different rendering all together.
The Zuiko is every bit up to the task of having enough resolution to
maximize use of that sensor, pixel peeping some of the 100% crops on
FM.  It would be one my cold dead finger lenses if I had one.
Consensus is it outresolves the 24-105 "L" kit lens by a good margin.
Canyon may have upgraded the lens w/o announcing as the earlier
versions didn't seem to beat the converted 24-85 Contax N lens  as far
as resolution but later ones seem about the same.  Bokeh on the N lens
if much much better as it is nearly symmetrical at 85mm but no IS.
They were cheap enough before the conversion became common knowledge.
Bo Ming is backed up to wazoo  converting these.

C/Y 35-70  bokeh is way different and it is  not very contrasty wide
open.
Super nice landscape lens at F5.6 or greater, though.  Saw a LNIB zuiko
35-80 for a bit over $700 and didn't have the gumption as
just spent $1500  on vet bills.  As luck would have got a cheap C/Y
-(-first lens purchased  I can't use on my OM's  in many many moons)
on a snipe.  Several were up and perhaps  this one partially
overlooked. CFO spotted the bill later, but didn't really matter.
Ergonomics not very nice, we'll see if I keep it.  Kinda impressive
macro ability.

Mike