Re: [OM] iPhone et al

Subject: Re: [OM] iPhone et al
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 07:45:09 -0700
The AT&T contract isn't significantly worse, or better than any of the other
ones here. And finding information about issues is no big thing either. I do
that every day as part of my job.

What I think this really boils down to (and I mean no offense to anyone) is
that either one "gets" the Apple way of doing things or one does not. For
those who do not "get" it, the UI is often times damned near opaque and
extremely frustrating. More use makes that frustration worse, not better--at
least for me. As far as I am concerned, having other folks who do get it
then routinely respond with statements that mostly just try and deflect the
issue (one didn't ask for help, or it's the contract, or surely more
practice would help, etc.) sounds far too much like the Jesuits telling the
aboriginal people that it will all be fine if they'd just submit and
convert.

I've been in the computing business in one way or another for some 31 years.
I've learned various UIs from the AOS command line through some pretty
arcane IBM front-end stuff to CP/M, TRS-DOS, Cisco IOS, Procurve network
boxen and the latest versions of all three PC operating systems (Windoze,
OS/X and various flavors of Linux). Nowhere have I ever felt as constrained
as by the Apple Macintosh UI in its various incarnations (by-the-by, I've
got one of the original Macs, with peripherals, sitting safely boxed up at
home).

For those of you that love it, more power to ya. That does not change the
fact that criticisms of the Apple way are entirely valid. I, for one, will
not allow Steve Jobs & Co. put me back in the vendor-lock-in box in the name
of so-called "ease of use".

One final note (to another comment in this thread): real system
administrators do not most often choose to use Macs. Real system
administrators use the command line on whatever box is handy. ;-) (And I
would refer all of you to Neal Stephenson's, "In the Beginning was the
Command Line" for an instructive take on much of this very subject).