Re: [OM] (OT) G12 vs OM Film

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) G12 vs OM Film
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:40:37 -0500
> I know a lot of folks when they run their RAW files through ACR, set 'em to
> go to 300 ppi, but I've also seen some of the Mighty Ones, live and in screen
> shots, who let 'em go at 240 and call it good. I've been converting at 240
> most of my time and I'm not complaining.

I wouldn't think it matters at all until you get to the output stage.
the PPI setting is only used IF interpreted by the software to be used
for output size. I use 300 most of the time because my lab doesn't
give a RIP what I use as their RIP takes care of everything for the
final output anyway. And for the stuff going to the stock library,
they want it 300. For on-screen display I convert the processed file
to 100.

When "rolling my own" prints, I have Canon printers which are native
at 300, so I scale and crop the image in software to the desired
output size.

Unless you are using the new-fangled scaling feature in ACR/Lightroom,
it doesn't matter what the PPI setting is as your image file still has
the same number of pixels.

But maybe I'm not understanding your workflow or software.

AG