[OM] (OM) 30 years'-old gear and techniques still good

Subject: [OM] (OM) 30 years'-old gear and techniques still good
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:43:21 +1300
During the week I managed to pull off a real bargain in the 2nd hand book
market. It is a 1997 reprint of 1980 copy of "The Native Trees of New
Zealand" by J T Salmon. ISBN 07900 0104 7

384 pages, A4 size, glossy paper, 226 species, and reportedly about 1200
plates/images.  I paid $NZ 40. Normally it goes for at least double that; and
it is seldom clear which of many versions is being sold.

Salmon wrote

"Most of the photos were taken on 35mm film; a Zeiss Contarex Super, and
an OM1 for the detailed work.  Pictures of whole trees were taken using a
Koni Omegaflex with Agfachrome 50S 120 film. The 35mm film was
Kodachrome 25, with the occasional roll of Kodachrome 64 when difficult
lighting conditions called for greater film speed. All of the close-up
photographs of plant details were taken using special Zeiss Luminar lenses
in combination with electronic flash as a light source. "

The photos are generally magnificent (with the occasional one showing the
results of narrow lighting tolerance of Kodachrome on a sunny day with
shadows in the shot) and it is no wonder he was made a F.R.P.S.

I had not previously heard of Zeiss Luminar lenses.

Brian Swale.