Re: [OM] 24/2 vs 21/2 vs 24/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 24/2 vs 21/2 vs 24/2.8
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 18:34:55 -0400
Strangely, all mention of tin oxide coated sensor filters and Eclipse 2
(supposedly safe for use on tin oxide) have disappeared from the
Photographic Solutions web site.  Today there is only one cleaning
solution listed which is Eclipse (the original name) and the Canon
cameras previously labeled as having tin oxide coatings are now
identified as flouride coated.

The original Eclipse was supposedly mostly methanol which was reputed
damaging to tin oxide coatings.  Eclipse 2 was supposedly mostly ethanol
with maybe a bit of methanol and supposedly safe for tin oxide.  Its
anyone's guess what Eclipse is today but there are no more warnings
posted for tin oxide coatings and, in fact, no further mention of tin oxide.

I still have about 90% of a bottle of original Eclipse bought prior to
the tin oxide warning.  Seems to work fine on my 5D but it was uncertain
from Photo Solution's warnings of the time whether the 5D had tin oxide
coatings or not.  It was all extremely confusing and I think they were
very confused as well.

Chuck Norcutt