[OM] Finally, some darkroom time (couple of OM B&W prints)

Subject: [OM] Finally, some darkroom time (couple of OM B&W prints)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 23:09:30 +0200
Hi All,

Seeing as this list is discussing less and less OM material as time
goes by (ok,
so what's new? but we even have people like Ken talking about evil
Canon lenses
etc now) I thought I would share a couple of recent darkroom prints I
finally got
around to making this past weekend. As ever with these things, many of
these are "works
in progress" small prints that may be re-interpreted or discarded. But
some comments
and criticism would be appreciated - or otherwise, just sit back and
watch the show
of some honest-to-goodness analogue OM photography.

Yeah, I know there are a couple of you out there, but you guys never
post your work!
For a change, I am not going to post any textual write-ups, the images
will either
speak for themselves or they won't :-)

----------------------------------

"Towards a bright future"
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/292/f/e/towards_a_bright_future_by_philosomatographer-d313aql.jpg
(OM-1, FP4+, 250mm at f/2.0, 5x7in print)

"Mousse (detail #2)"
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/292/b/e/mousse_detail_no__2_by_philosomatographer-d313bhv.jpg
(OM-3Ti, Fomapan 100, 90mm Macro at f/2.8 + Ring Flash, 8x10in print)

"Time Flies"
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/292/c/9/time_flies_by_philosomatographer-d313bo6.jpg
(OM-3Ti, Fomapan 100, 250mm at f/2.0, 8x10in print)

"Like a knife through water"
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/292/7/6/like_a_knife_through_water_by_philosomatographer-d313bv5.jpg
(OM-1n, FP4+, 250mm at f/5.6, 8x10in print)

"Conspicuous Consumption"
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/292/c/c/conspicuous_consumption_by_philosomatographer-d313c55.jpg
(OM-1n, FP4+, 250mm at f/2.0, 8x10in print)

"Giant Mating Arachnids"
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/292/3/b/giant_mating_arachnids_by_philosomatographer-d313aw1.jpg
(OM-1, Delta 400, 90mm Macro at f/16.0, 5x7in print, 30s long exposure
in waning daylight)

"Old green Fingers"
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/292/8/a/old_green_fingers_by_philosomatographer-d313b57.jpg
(OM-1, FP4+, 50mm at f/8.0, 8x10in print)

"2 GP"
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/292/8/2/2_gp_by_philosomatographer-d313al5.jpg
(OM-1, FP4+, 50mm at f/2.0, 5x7in print)

----------------------------------

As you can see, I have *really* been enjoying the 250/2 lens this past
year. I have so many negatives to
print from it, maybe one day I'll have time to print all the decent
ones... sigh...

And despite the (too?)  shallow DOF at f/2.8, "Mousse (detail #2)" has
really impressed me with the detail
rendition of the 90 Macro at 1:2 distance. It's really quite a lens,
and mine is quite the beat-up copy
at that, with some crud (fine layer of dust or dirt) inside the lens.
Still, it impresses, that's for sure.

All the best to you all, and shoot some film in those OM cameras -
that's what they're made for!

---- Check these (and others) out on my DeviantArt profile: ----
http://philosomatographer.deviantart.com/

Dawid
(wishing his OM SLRs were as quiet and smooth as a Leica M3, but
loving them to bits in anyway)