Re: [OM] Back focusing

Subject: Re: [OM] Back focusing
From: "|-o-|" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:14:38 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Ian,

> I ask because I'm now officially utterly fed-up with my Sigma 30mm
> f/1.4.  I tried using it at a dimly lit gig again on Saturday, and the
> wretched thing would not focus accurately.  The wall behind was more
> focused than the subject in most cases and I got far better results
> with the 14-54, despite the shutter having to be 2 stops slower and
> quite often being a longer focal length.

Even though the Sigma's have a smaller F they dont seem to focus
to well in low light, they are better than the kit lenses from Oly though.

What I do on the E1 is set it for one shot focus then Manual focus, it
seems to get the focus spot on a lot more than if I have it set for
Continus Focus, and if I need to I can then quicky move the focus
just a little bit (which is rare).

This is with the Sigma 18-50 f2.8.

> I wish I'd realised this was an issue sooner, instead of assuming it
> was my poor technique or simply the lack of light.

Low light were quick focusing is needed I'd stick to the 4T with 35-80 f2.8 :-)

Cheers
Ian Manners
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.