[OM] Back focusing

Subject: [OM] Back focusing
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 18:49:55 -0400
IN writes:
"I ask because I'm now officially utterly fed-up with my Sigma 30mm
f/1.4.  I tried using it at a dimly lit gig again on Saturday, and the
wretched thing would not focus accurately.  The wall behind was more
focused than the subject in most cases and I got far better results
with the 14-54, despite the shutter having to be 2 stops slower and
quite often being a longer focal length."

I can't speak to the 30/1.4 but the 50/1.4 notoriously is erratic in
some lens samples in AF.  There are just some bad matches with a given
lens and cam.
I read a bunch of laments on FM in the past on this.  If you have a
good one, just count your blessings as the bokeh and IQ are top notch.
One person sent his back to Sigma twice and then just gave up and sent
it back to B&H.  Another sample may be fine.
I have never read of such an issue  with the sigi 150 or 180 macros.
No clue why.  The new 150 macro with IS looks enticing..

Seems front focusing occurs too--no surprise to me.
>From one review of the 30/1.4:

"The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is very bad, depending on your camera, for
photographing at long distances. The AF system, at least on my D200 at
f/1.4 and large apertures, consistently wouldn't focus at infinity and
instead focused too closely. I focused by scale instead for objects
further away than about 50 feet (20m). If this is a lot of what you do,
you probably won't be happy with this lens. It was perfect with my D40.
This will vary from sample to sample and camera to camera. "

Send the Sucker to Sigma, Mike