Re: [OM] IMGs: butterflies, flowers, and other images to wrap up summer

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: butterflies, flowers, and other images to wrap up summer
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:11:12 -0500
Keeping up with the Joneses.  The other cool towns and counties in
Iowa had names like Keokuk, Wapsipinicon, Keausaqua, Maquoketa,
Potawatomie, Poweshiek, not to mention the state name itself.
Butchered French names like Des Moines had run their course, and the
English names were lackluster examples like "Brighton," "North
English," "Riverside" (future birthplace of James T. Kirk), and "Cedar
Rapids," "Cedar Falls", "Cedar Bluff" (yawn).

Seriously, it was just a bit of a fad that stuck.  He was made famous
by a couple of paintings at the time, and counties and towns in Iowa,
Michigan, and Florida were named for him all around the same time.  He
was an interesting character.  Mixed race, born with the name "Billy
Powell."  Had two wives, at least one black.  Quintessential American.
 It also suggests that not all Americans at the time agreed with the
relocation policy that lead to the "trail of tears" -- though I am
merely speculating that there was any connection here.  These colorful
"chiefs" were folk heroes.  The only military service Lincoln was
involved in (as a soldier!) was a skirmish in Iowa against Black Hawk,
and Iowans went and named a county after him.  Black Hawk I mean, not
Lincoln.

Joel W.