Re: [OM] free photo sharing options

Subject: Re: [OM] free photo sharing options
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:50:50 +0100
On 28 September 2010 12:43, John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One thing I have discovered is that the program is searching all of my hard
> drives for images and creating folders by year by subject matter, Picasa
> reads not only TIFF and JPEG images but also Olympus ORF raw files which is
> nice. I only hope that Picasa does not go through this image identification
> and reading process each time the program is invoked. On the first go around
> the searching is VERY slow indeed.

Only the first time - after that it just does a quick check for any
changes.  You can also tell it which folder tree to look in, so it
doesn't go searching the whole disk.  Mine's set to D:\My Documents\My
Pictures\DigiCamPics - all my digital photography, which is the only
thing I want indexed by Picasa is in there.

> What I have yet to discover is whether Picasa will generate low resolution
> images, suitable for uploading to the web, if it finds a TIFF file or
> whether I will have had to generate that low resolution image myself in
> Photoshop.

You get the option to select what size image to upload at uploading
time.  I don't use this feature myself, preferring to generate some
suitable-sized images in a batch in a subfolder usually called "web"
using IrfanView and then upload those instead.  It does mean a  lot of
duplicate thumbnails, but I find it easier to select the ones I want
to display publically this way.

HTH

Ian
--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer