Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:09:02 -0400
And all of the programmers of the world are thankful they didn't.  The
i486 couldn't support more than 4GB of physical memory but (if it were
implemented) could support a virtual space composed of 16K 4GB virtual
spaces.

Having worked with them I can tell you that Intel hardware engineers of
the day thought they were providing wonderful memory control functions.
  But they hadn't a clue about the difficulties they were imposing on
the system software guys that had to write the software to control and
keep track of segmented address spaces.  Having lived through the
software development of the 16 bit segmented architectures of the 8086
and 80286 it was more than welcome to settle on a 32 bit flat address
space in later processors.

Now we're finally at 64 bits and I think that should be the end of the
line.  I think I recall reading somewhere that 64 bits is more than
enough to enumerate all the atoms in the universe of some other such
incredulous number.

Chuck Norcutt