Re: [OM] Lensbaby fot MfT

Subject: Re: [OM] Lensbaby fot MfT
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 07:36:08 -0400
When I was in training to be a radio intercept operator back in the late '60s,
the Army taught us how to copy code by sending dits and dahs through headphones
to groups of 30 or so trainees. We then would shout, for example, "Dit-Dah!
Alpha!" and allow the pinkies of our left hands to depress the A key. The
typewriters were called "mills," and typed in all caps. Learning the code was
apparently not everyone's cuppa, and during my training cycle, several trainees
defenestrated their mills, much to the consternation of the instructors. If you
washed out of code school, your enlistment was truncated to three years from
four, but your new assignment was usually Infantry Training School.

FWIW, I defenestrated nothing or no one, and learned the code so well that I
still can recite it nearly flawlessly. Copy it, too, if the operator isn't too
ham fisted.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com