Re: [OM] ( OM) OT Volvo made where??

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM) OT Volvo made where??
From: "|-o-|" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:16:28 +1000 (EST)
Hi Jim,

> My first Volvo was a used 1980 264 GLE with automatic tran, because my wife
> isn't comfortable with a stick shift.  That was the smoothest running engine

My first wife demolished my 264 bit by bit after we seperated :o)
Every now and then I miss the old lounge on wheels.

> I've ever had, but the induction system required frequent adjustments.  I
> finally traded it because of the worries about the cost of repairs if that
> complex engine died, and also because the A/C could not keep us cool in
> Summer in the lower USA.

You must have had the inline 6 model ?
I had the large V6 configuration, A/C worked well during the summers
in Kalgoorlie, apart from one mid 30's day when it broke down
driving from Kalgoorlie to Perth, needed a new hose and re-gass

> My wife selected a 1989 740 wagon which we still have.  I only bought the
> V70 because the 740 was getting long in the tooth, and I was uncomfortable
> using it for longer trips.  On its next trip in for its annual service, the
> 740 will have all of the original hoses replaced, though no leaks are
> evident.

Yes, my 850 would probably still make it across the Nullabor a few
more times but as its now 16 years old I just feel safer from a break
down point of view not doing it, that and the fact I'm not sure if I
could handle the drive between Melbourne and Adelaide again,
Adelaide to Kalgoorlie and/or Perth though is nice.

> I took the 740 to 11,000 ft in Rocky Mountain National Park, and it ran
> great as long as I kept the RPM at a decent level.

I've always loved the way you can make a Volvo glide up steep
hills effortlessly once you have it rolling properly.

Cheers
Ian Manners