Re: [OM] Linux/PhotoShop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/PhotoShop question
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:47:06 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck,

I wouldnt worry about your hardware requirements too much.

I have a Gateway MT61916 laptop and a Dell 8400 desktop four and five years old
respectively.  The former had Vista preinstalled and the latter came with XP,
it was the top of the Dell's line at the time.  Now both run the latest version
of Ubuntu's distribution, the Dell is configured to double boot.  They have
never been speedier.  For example, the PS2 installed on the laptop comes in
between 1 and three seconds, blazingly fast compared to ten to twenty seconds
before.

The estimated learning curve for you will be about one day and one week.  One
day to install, figure out your way around and see which programs that came as
default you like.  Then you need about two weeks to figure out what other
programs you need, find the best ones, install them and learn how to use them.

I wouldnt be afraid of setting up the double boot

Best

Boris

Re: [OM] Linux/PhotoShop question

My old Win2000 box is sitting unused in the other room.  It needs a few
parts replaced to get it up and running again but maybe I should turn it
into a Linux machine and get familiar with it.  I'm not sure I'm ready
for dual-boot just yet.

Chuck Norcutt