[OM] ( OM ) Digital news; E-3 service

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Digital news; E-3 service
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:30:03 +1200
Hi all,

I've just spent about 5 days in Christchurch. Where I stayed, at Sumner, ( an
eastern seaside suburb), the after-shocks were significantly fewer than what
the rest of Christchurch had.  So far for western Christchurch and
surrounding farmland, there have been approx 1,100 aftershocks from this
new fault system.

Many thanks to those of you who wrote about my Flash photography
thoughts. I am only now catching up with the Digests.

I took my E-3 into Photo and Video. The NZ agents (H E Perry) have moved
their HO to Auckland, but the service centre stayed in Christchurch.
I had a phone call from one of the technicians who has been assigned the
task of sorting out the far-focus problem of my E-3.
As an aside, he mentioned he had spent parts of a whole day on it (
NZ$120/hr !!) but he would only charge out about an hour as he previously
said he would.
I had to listen to a lecture about manufacturing tolerances, and that this
could well be within them. Also about variance mis-match between the lens
and body.  I merely replied that if the images are not sharp they are of no
use to me. He saw the point.
On the day he received the camera he phoned me, and in that conversation
he advised me that they have an E-3 body that is factory certified as
focussing very accurately; and also they have an accurate DZ 50/2 macro
lens that they use to test body focus performance. They use these two as
required to cross-check client gear performance.

Brian Swale.