Re: [OM] [OT] Help with minimal home automation

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Help with minimal home automation
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:31:32 -0400
I finally concluded that the internet enabled device (cat 5 connector on
the bottom) is the right choice as shown here:
<http://www.smarthome.com/2412N/SmartLinc-INSTEON-Central-Controller/p.aspx>

There are two other very similar looking devices.  One has a USB
connection, the other is RS-232 serial.  These devices only cost about
half as much as the internet device but, in order to be programmed, they
require additional cost software packages that cost more than the
internet device itself.  I am still unsure whether a PC needs to remain
connected during operation but it doesn't matter.  Just the cost of the
software precludes my use of these products.

Chuck Norcutt