[OM] ( OM ) Question for Dr Flash ?

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Question for Dr Flash ?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 07:01:46 +1200
For my writing project, I am doing close-ups of plant parts.

Some of these (I might post examples) are likely to be fairly small and with a
black velvet background.

Other authors have used this technique to good effect.

If I were to use flash, I think I can foresee big problems ahead as an auto
unit tries to illuminate the dark background.

My thoughts now are to use a totally manual film camera such as the OM1,
with a T20 unit on a bracket, and a reflector to balance the lighting, and by
trial and error come to one standard distance (or a set of standards) that will
illuminate the subject *only* and ignore the background.  The subject might
be sitting on glass over the background, with lighting always at an angle
such that reflections are avoided.

Comment?.

Brian Swale.